1. Listen to local news channels for critical information on snowstorms and blizzards from the National Weather Service.
2. Avoid driving when conditions include sleet, freezing rain, snow or dense fog.
3. If travel is necessary, make sure you have a disaster supplies kit in your vehicle which includes: shovel, blanket, flashlight, water, snacks, first aid kit, extra batteries, sack of sand or cat litter.
4. Keep the gas tank full. A full tank will keep the fuel line from freezing.
5. Before tackling strenuous tasks in cold temperatures, consider your physical condition, the weather factors and the nature of the task.
6. When shoveling snow, take frequent breaks to avoid risk of injury or cardiac arrest.
7. Protect yourself from frostbite and hypothermia by wearing warm, loose-fitting, lightweight clothing in several layers. Stay indoors, if possible.
8. Bring pets inside during winter weather.
9. Make sure coats, gloves or mittens, hats, boots and warm clothing are available for all household members, along with extra blankets.
10. Eat regular meals and stay hydrated, but avoid caffeinated or alcoholic beverages. Www.theautobodyshopny.com
Please stay safe but if you have an accident call us for a free estimate at 516-933-7327 or visit us at 40 Newtown Plaza, Plainview NY 11803